Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, February 18, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


It is Monday and again I am joining in the meme over at Mentor Texts.
Hop on over and join in over at the Mentor Text Blog. Just click on the picture 
                                                 


The Rosie Black Chronicles: Genesis
By Lara Morgan  (Australian author)
Walker Books:2010

Summary from Goodreads.
Five hundred years into the future, the world is a different place. The Melt has sunk most of the coastal cities and Newperth is divided into the haves, the “Centrals”; the have-nots, the “Bankers”; and the fringe dwellers, the “Ferals”.

Rosie Black is a Banker. When Rosie finds an unusual box, she has no idea of the grave consequences of her discovery. A mysterious organisation wants it – and will kill to get it.

Forced to rely on two strangers, Rosie is on the run. But who can she trust? Pip, the too attractive Feral, or the secretive man he calls boss?


This is a YA dystopian  science fiction book, full of action and adventure. While it begins on Earth, it moves to outer space and Mars.  It was recommended to me by one of my students.  It is the first of a trilogy and I will definitely read Equinox the next one very soon.   I think the third still not have been published. If students have enjoyed The Hunger Games or Divergent they will like this one.  I would say it is intended for slightly younger readers than those two books, however all ages will enjoy it.  A book I am happy to share with my Year 7 and 8 class.

This coming week I will be reading Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder.


3 comments:

  1. I love that your book this week came from a student recommendation. It will be nice to add a little international flavor to the dystopia recommendations. Thanks for sharing this title!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this series yet, very interesting book cover too. The kids do know these things, don't they? And it's great to know what fascinates them and why. I loved The Hunger Games series and I do have a weakness for dystopian fiction - I'd look for this one in our libraries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dystopian books & am glad to have the title of one for younger readers, Kathryn. I hope you like Bigger Than A Breadbox-I really did! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...