Taken from a painting of Kapiti Island at Sunset.
by Sonia Savage.

Monday, February 11, 2013

It's Monday, What Are You Reading?


It is Monday and again I am joining in the meme over at Mentor Texts.
Hop on over and join in over at the Mentor Text Blog. Just click on the picture 
                                                 
It has taken me a few weeks to get a book read! Back to school has meant being busy and a fuzzy tired head by the time I have some down time to read.


The 10 PM Question
Kate de Goldi  (NZ author)
Longacre Press 2008

Summary from Goodreads:
A warm, surprising, real and intelligent novel you will fall in love with. Frankie Parsons is twelve and has a rodent voice of worry nibbling in his head. His new friend - colourful, creative, talkative Sydney - has relentless, unavoidable questions of her own that force Frankie and his family to face up to things that have lain dormant for years.

This book was well written and worth reading.  Frankie reminded me a little of myself with his 'rodent voice of worry'.  Also I am partial to a happy ever after, as is Frankie and he doesn't get that.  However family secrets do eventually get explored.  That was satisfying and did mean that in another way Frankie did grow as he began to front up to the realities of his life.  


While he is a twelve year old, I still have to decide whether I put this in class library. At the moment I am leaning towards the not.  I'd rather students read it in a couple of years and fully appreciate it. I will lend it to a teacher friend who knows this age group and get her opinion before finally deciding.


At present I am reading The Rosie Black Chronicles: Genesis, by Lara Morgan. (Australian author). More about this when I have finished reading it.  


As professional reading I have Book Love by Penny Kittle on the go. About half way through and enjoying it.



6 comments:

  1. I haven't heard about the 10PM Question. It sound very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your book sounds interesting Kathryn. I am about to finish Book Love-really good, but I seem to be taking a long time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the new book to investigate! Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Kathryn, this book sounds like something I'd definitely enjoy. Just looking at the book cover and the typography makes me want to find it right now in the library. It also seems like it's dealing with an important issue/topic. Would definitely check it out, thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I ordered that book for my library and never picked it up for myself. Sounds like I should be adding it to my TBR list. Also, I love that cover! Have a great reading week!
    http://wp.me/pzUn5-1pL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got Book Love as well- I cannot wait to read it :)

    Happy reading this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...